Family Based

Adjustment of Status Through Marriage

Adjustment of status through marriage is the legal process to apply for lawful permanent residency in the United States, through obtaining a marriage based green card. If you’re a foreign national that’s married to a US citizen (or vice versa) LA Legal Advocates can help. 

What is a marriage based green card (I-485 green card)
A marriage based green card allows the non-citizen spouse of a green card holder or a U.S citizen to obtain lawful permanent residence in the U.S. To obtain a marriage based green card, your eligibility depends on whether you entered the U.S. lawfully and whether your spouse is a lawful permanent resident or U.S. citizen.

How to apply for a marriage based green card
To apply for adjustment of status through marriage you may be required to file some of the following immigration forms:

  • I-130 Family Petition: Form I-130 is required to establish the marriage relationship. The applicant must show that the marriage was entered into in good faith. It is the applicant’s burden to show by a preponderance of the evidence that the marriage is Bonafide.
  • I-485 Form: Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status if applying in the U.S at your local USCIS office or DS-260 if applying for a marriage based green card at your consular post.
  • I-864 Affidavit of Support: The intending immigrant must show that they will not be a public charge if admitted into the U.S. The petitioner must meet the Health and Human Services (HHS) poverty guidelines (I-865p) published by USCIS yearly. In some instances, the intending immigrant will need a co-sponsor, if the petitioning spouse does not meet the HHS poverty guidelines.

I-485 green card eligibility
Where your petitioning spouse is a green card holder and the beneficiary is in the U.S., you may adjust in the U.S. if:

  • Applicant is in lawful status in the U.S. (for example: currently on a visa) or
  • Applicant is protected under INA Section 245(i), requiring applicant to have an immigrant visa petition (I-130 family petition or I-140 immigrant petition for Alien worker OR a labor certification application (Form ETA 750) filed on or before April 30, 2001.
    • If married to a U.S. citizen you may file I-130 Family Petition concurrently with I-485 form, application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status if the applicant was admitted into the U.S. with a visa or is otherwise protected under INA Section 245(i).
    • Eligibility for Consular Processing (Green Card Abroad)- The process of obtaining your green card abroad is called Consular Processing. To begin this process USCIS must first issue a visa after the I-130 Family Petition is approved. To file your green card abroad, the applicant must submit an application with the National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC will collect all of the documents and send them to the corresponding consulate. The consulate will set-up an interview for the beneficiary.

Need help with your Legal request?

Other Legal Family Based

LA LEGAL Website Privacy Policy


What information do we collect?

We collect information from you when you register on our site or fill out a form.

When registering on this site, as appropriate, you may be asked to enter your: name, e-mail address, phone number or other information. You may, however, visit our site anonymously.

Google, as a third-party vendor, uses cookies to serve ads on this site. Google’s use of the DART cookie enables it to serve ads to your users based on their visit to your sites and other sites on the Internet. Users may opt-out of the use of the DART cookie by visiting the Google ad and content network privacy policy.

What do we use your information for?

Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:

To personalize your experience (your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs)

To improve our website (we continually strive to improve our website offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you)

To improve customer service (your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs)

How do we protect your information?

We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you access your personal information. 

We offer the use of a secure server. All supplied sensitive/credit information is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and then encrypted into our Database to be only accessed by those authorized with special access rights to our systems, and are required to keep the information confidential.

After a transaction, your private information (credit cards, social security numbers, financials, etc.) will not be kept on file for more than 60 days.

Do we use cookies?

Yes (Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computers hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow) that enables the sites or service providers systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information.erstand and save your preferences for future visits.

Do we disclose any information to outside parties?

We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.

Third-party links

Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third-party products or services on our website. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We, therefore, have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.

California Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance

Because we value your privacy we have taken the necessary precautions to be in compliance with the California Online Privacy Protection Act. We therefore will not distribute your personal information to outside parties without your consent. 

As part of the California Online Privacy Protection Act, all users of our site may make any changes to their information at any time by logging into their control panel and going to the ‘Edit Profile’ page.

Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance

We are in compliance with the requirements of COPPA (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act), we do not collect any information from anyone under 13 years of age. Our website, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older.

Online Privacy Policy Only

This online privacy policy applies only to information collected through our website and not to information collected offline.

Terms and Conditions

Please also visit our terms and conditions section establishing the use, disclaimers, and limitations of liability governing the use of our website.

Your Consent

By using our site, you consent to our websites privacy policy

Changes to our Privacy Policy

If we decide to change our privacy policy, we will post those changes on this page.

How can we help you?